The Exmoor White Horse Inn is a former 16th century Coaching Inn, run for the past twenty years by the Hendrie family, nestling beside the river Exe in the quintessential Exmoor village of Exford. We pride ourselves on personal courteous and attentive service, renowned for our hospitality, a key factor to the reason that so many of our guests return, making the Exmoor White Horse Inn an Inn for all seasons. Situated in the Heart of Exmoor National Park, we're often informed how ideally placed we are for touring Exmoor, North Devon and throughout the westcountry.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01643 831 229
- The Booking Office is open between 8am - 12pm every day
- We have a comprehensive web site - see contact information
- Our brochure, sample menus & tariffs are available in larger font on request
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email, and fax or in person.
- The nearest National Express bus stop is Minehead which is approx. 14 miles from Exford
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers We are happy to make a booking for you
- There is a shop mobility scheme operating in Braunton (approx. 27 miles from Exford) and Barnstaple (approx. 22 miles away)
- Wheelchairs and disabled aids are available locally and can be delivered - See contact information
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- We have four parking area's, one to the front of the Inn, one to the side as well as one to the rear of the Inn. The Lodge, which is situated across the courtyard approx twenty-five yards from the reception in the main Inn, has its own parking area.
- The tarmac car park has a gradual incline. It is well lit at night
- The hotel doors are usually locked from Midnight. With the exception of service dogs, pets are not allowed on the hotel grounds
- The main Hotel outer entrance doors are usually always left open, giving access of 135cm up to 220cm when both are fully open.
- There is one step, 15cm down from the car park into a foot well, leading to the front door. Staff are always on hand to assist with access whenever requested.
- Large single front door opens inwards, giving access of 99cm up to 200cm
- Once inside the front door all areas are easily accessible on the ground floor with no steps or slops. To the left of the front door is the guest's lounge, giving access of 93cm up to 198cm, with ample seating and log wood burning stove. To the right of the front door are sliding doors into the restaurant giving access of 76cm up to 198cm.Our restaurant comprises of three rooms all on a level, and carpeted throughout, each room being able to seat approx 20 to 24 patrons. Continuing straight on from the front door for approx 5meters along the carpeted hallway, you'll come across a door to the foot of the stairs giving access of 100cm up to 200cm, a further 1.5 meters and you'll reach one of the entrances to the reception giving access of 70cm up to 193cm.
- Another entrance to reception is via the Dalesman bar entrance, giving access of 93cm up to 183cm with a raised step of 11cm to negotiate. Just to the left is the bar entrance door giving access of 97cm up to 187 with a small curved ramp to negotiate. Once in the bar area there is adequate room to move around from table to table, level and carpeted throughout, with a disabled toilet available at the end of the bar near to the fire, with two doors to negotiate. The first giving access of 83cm up to 190cm moving on a short distance along a tiled corridor to the disabled toilet with baby changing facilities, giving access of 84cm up to 198cm.
- Also by using the Dalesman bar entrance (dimensions above) and turning right, you will come across our disabled bedroom (room 1) in the main Inn close to reception, giving access of 68cm up to 190cm with a small raised step of 5cm. Proceed on another 1.5metres and you'll be confronted by two doors, the one to the right is the bathroom door giving access of 74cm up to 198cm into a large bathroom with ample room to negotiate a wheelchair around. The door directly in front of you giving access of 74cm up to 192cm into the bedroom.
- Paper and pens are available
- Adequate lighting throughout the reception and entrance hallway is provided through fluorescent down lights and picture lights. These are replaced as soon as they expire
- A familiarisation tour or escorted visit can be arranged on request
- The reception desk is open from 7.30am - 11pm.
- After these hours, and in the case of an emergency you can contact the duty manager by dialling "44" from your room phone
- The reception desk is 94cm high - With adequate seating available just off reception in the Gallery or Lounge area's
- Registration can be completed whilst sitting just off the reception area. Clip boards are available and registration cards can be enlarged if required
Public Areas in the Inn - General (Internal)
- The bedrooms, which are situated on two floors, and can be accessed by stairs only
- The conference room is situated on the first floor. There is no lift available so access is by one flight of stairs. The conference room also doubles up as another guests lounge, reading room and function room. Up to ninety people can be seated for our largest function
- Ladies and Gentlemen's toilets are available on the first floor just to the left of the conference room. These are also accessible from reception by the use of a flight of stairs
- Ladies Overall dimensions 370cm x 285cm, comprising of three cubicles and a twin basin hand washing area.
- Gents Overall dimensions 255cm x 280cm, comprising of one cubicle with separate wash hand basin, and two urinals in the main area, together with a twin basin hand washing area.
Public Areas - WC
- Ladies, Gents and Disabled toilets are situated at the end of the bar, to the left of the fire place
- Ladies Overall dimensions 300cm x 260cm, comprising of three cubicles and a twin basin hand washing area.
- Gents Overall dimensions 290cm x 205cm, comprising of one cubicle, two urinals and one wash hand basin.
- Disabled Overall dimensions 205cm x 180cm, able to accommodate a wheelchair. Comprising of disabled toilet, with a seat height of 48cm,cushioned back, movable leverage arm to the right, vertical and horizontal grab rails
White Horse Restaurant
- Whether you access the restaurant through the sliding doors situated by the front door or from the bar entrance, Wheelchair access is made very accessible due to the whole ground floor being on the level
- In the restaurants all floors are carpeted throughout, tables are moveable, easily accessed and allocated to suit guests requirements
- All chairs are soft bottomed and backed, but don't have arms
- Natural lighting by day. Lighting can be adjusted as necessary in the evening with dimmer switches
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for
- Table service as standard
- Disabled toilets available at the end of the bar
- There is a 'non smoking' policy within the Inn/Hotel
- The bar can be accessed by continuing through the restaurant, all level, and all on the ground floor but staff are happy to serve drinks in the lounge
- There is an 'in-house' telephone just off reception
- We have a laundry service available to all guests. Information about this and bags to put the laundry in can be found in your wardrobe.
For further information please ask at reception
- To the front of the Inn is situated the beer garden with approx 18 picnic benches, bordering onto the river Exe, separated by a stone wall
- To the rear of the Inn is the village green. A large traditional mowed grass area with play equipment in a designated area, a basketball court and movable football goals. The village green can be approached by turning left as you leave the Inn, through a small gate, and on to the green.
- We have twenty-eight bedrooms in total, eight in the lodge and twenty in the main Inn, of which two our suitable for guests using a wheelchair
- Signs are available to hang on your bedroom door requesting help in the event of the need for evacuation
- Notes are made on residents bookings alerting the need for assistance during an emergency
- A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
- Many of our beds are 'zip and link'
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets
- Room folders are available in large print
- All rooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request
- All bedding is 'non feather'
- All rooms are 'non smoking'
The lodge is situated approx 30 yards across the courtyard from reception which is situated in the main Inn
The lodge has eight bedrooms, four on the ground floor, and four on the first floor
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- All bedrooms are ensuite
- Some bedrooms have walk in showers but the majority have a bath with a shower over the top
- Some bathrooms are equipped with grab rails
- All bathrooms have rubber non slip mats in cupboard
- Seat raisers can be arranged for toilets through local hire companies on request
Grounds and Gardens
The lodge has a private garden at the back, bordering on to the banks of the river Exe. Two of the ground floor rooms share this garden
Mature shrubs, flowering borders and a selection of trees make up the grounds of the Inn
- If you require assistance during your stay please contact reception
- The duty manager can also be contacted via reception
- Staff have attended a Welcome Host course
- Orange then Vodaphone receives the best mobile phone reception in the Inn and the Exmoor area.
- The fire alarms are tested every Thursday morning
- Please inform us at the time of booking or on arrival if you require assistance from your room in the case of an emergency
- All rooms have signs to hang on the bedroom door requesting help in the event of a need for evacuation
- A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
- We are happy to take delivery of hired equipment
- A list of equipment hire companies is available on request
- A list of carers in the local area is available on request
- In the case an emergency please dial 44
- Address: The Exmoor White Horse Inn, Exford, Exmoor National Park, Somerset TA24 7PY
- Telephone: 01643 831 229
- Fax: 01643 831 246
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.exmoor-whitehorse.co.uk
- Grid reference: 13830 North, 28530 East
- Latitude ETRS89: 51.132451, Longitude ETRS89: -3.640676
- Hours of operation: Booking office is open 8am -10pm, 365 days of the year
- Bars are open 11am-11pm Daily
- Hotel doors open from 7am to Midnight
- Local carers: Carers Line - 0808 808 7777
Local equipment hire companies:
Barnstaple Industrial Services
Pottington Business Park
T: 01271 345 109
F: 01271 323 250
Mobility equipment for hire
Repair service available
Mobility finance available
The shop located in Barnstaple holds a wide range of mobility equipment for hire.
In addition they can arrange for their workshop to repair or service wheelchairs, scooters.
Engage West Somerset Volunteer Centre
- 23a Friday Street
Tel: 01643 707 123
- Local public transport numbers:
- Bus Timetable - 0871 200 2233
- Local accessible taxi numbers:
- 1st 4a Terry’s Taxi - 01643 705 599
- Other Local taxi numbers:
- Kempton Jones Taxis - 01643 831 399
- Winsford Car Hire - 01643 851 232
- Ava Cab - 01643 703 333
- Doctor available at
Dr. Ian Kelham
Porlock Medical Centre,
Porlock, TA24 8PJ
Tel: (01643) 862575
Harley House Surgery
(located at Porlock Medical Centre)
Tel: (01643) 703441
8:15am - 6:00pm
8:15am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 10:am
8:15am - 12:30am
8:15am - 6:00pm
8:15am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 10:00am
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve our services and if you have any comments please contact us.